This post is also available in: Melayu
HRDF Guidelines for Remote Online Learning
HRDF has updated its guidelines for elearning, remote online learning and virtual classrooms on 15th May 2020. We have summarized the requirements below. You can download their guidelines from the HRDF website per link provided at the end of this article.
HRDF has several definitions on this topic. For trainers, the most commonly online learning method in the Malaysian market for remote online learning is the virtual classroom.
HRDF Definition of Virtual Classrooms
In essence, HRDF considers this as a real time training using video conferencing such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom or any other Video Conferencing system that fulfills HRDF’s claimable requirements.
Both the HRDF TTT certified trainer and the trainees must be present at the same time, It is not a recording. A recording of the training will need to be available as part of HRDF claimable requirements for remote online learning, as evidence it happened.
A virtual classroom is an online event where a trainer remotely and in real-time conducts training to a group of trainees using a combination of materials like PowerPoint slides, audio or video materials. It is also called synchronous learning. This method requires the least amount of effort to convert materials but instructors still have to prepare them. Appropriate technology must be in place for both the trainees and trainers such as software for the virtual classroom and good internet connectivity.Section 4.3.2, HRDF, Guide For Online Learning, Version 1.0, 15 May 2020
Virtual Classroom Platforms and Applications
Virtual classroom is an online Remote Learning where both trainees and trainer are engaged in a training session remotely, yet together in real time.
This can be achieved by video conferencing applications or by learning management systems (LMS).
Video Conferencing Platforms and Applications
There are a few examples of video conference apps that will help you through the virtual classroom experience.
- Microsoft Teams
- Google Hangouts
- Zoom Meetings
- Zoho Meetings
- and so many more.
Learning Management Systems (LMS) for Virtual Classrooms
A good learning management system (LMS) should have the following capabilities:
- Most of the video conferencing applications capabilities AND
- Built in registration and listing of participants
- Built in assessment questions for participants
- Built in tracking of the performance of participants in the training session and its assessments
- Built in evaluation of the session by participants
- Storage of the video recording of the training session
- Handouts download capabilities
- Control of certificate issuance based on participants performance in the training.
Down below is some of the apps that will help you through the learning process. Examples of LMS with real time virtual classrooms capabilities:
- Moodle LMS
- Zoho Showtime
- Adobe Captivate Prime
- and many more
Why are Virtual Classrooms important?
With the usage of virtual classroom, it enables remote virtual teaching and learning for large groups of people. This is important as in situations of a pandemic like Covid-19 or the time and cost of travelling in for a training is too high.
HRDF Remote Online Learning Virtual Classroom Requirements
Online learning has many advantages. And many potential distractions. Lets see what HRDF requirements are below (per the HRDF, Guide For Online Learning, Version 1.0, 15 May 2020), and what are the main issues that can occur for an online training.
For HRDF Remote Online Learning, HRDf has capped the course fee to a maximum of RM350 per pax per day, where a day means a 7 hour training.
A 7-hour training to be conducted over a minimum of two (2) days and training hours per day should not exceed for (4) hours.
Note: A full-day (7-hour) programme is not allowed to stretch more than four (4) hours in a day and if the training is more than four (4)hours, it should be completed in minimum of two (2) days.
For a virtual classroom, the HRDF claimable amount is RM175 per person per day for a 4 hour training session. The HRDF remote online training session allowable hours, cannot exceed 4 hours per day and cannot be less than 4 hours per day.
The minimum training duration is four (4) hours for Skim Bantuan Latihan (SBL) and Skim Latihan Bersama (SLB) and seven (7) hours for Skim Bantuan Latihan Khas (SBL-KHAS)
Maximum 15 pax for both technical and soft skill INCLUDING conference and webinars.
For Remote Online Learning, the report should contain basic information such as course title, training dates and details of trainees. Additionally, for SBL-Khas, the attendance report generated by system should be signed by the training provider or trainer with the company stamp.
To ensure that the training delivered live online is effective, the platform/application on which the content is delivered must include the following features:
i. User login/attendance monitoring;
ii. Document sharing;
iii. 2-way communication; and
iv. Ability to generate reports on user activity and event logs
When delivering training via live online platforms, the stability of the internet connection, as well as sufficient bandwidth, are two (2) crucial factors in ensuring smooth delivery of the content. As such, training providers and trainers must carry out sufficient testing before any such training is carried out to ensure that the delivery will be consistently smooth throughout the training period.
Training providers/Organisers are also required to provide access to the live online training session for HRDF officers to conduct the inspection. This access must be emailed to email@example.com at least 24 hours before the commencement of the training. The email should also have the following details:
i. HRDF Grant Reference Number;
ii. Employer Name;
iii. Training Date and Time; and
iv. Participant Name Listing.
Training providers/Organisers must also keep the video records of these live online training sessions for at least two (2) years. Training providers/Organisers should be able to provide these records when required by the HRDF officers.
1. Trainee is distracted and is not staying engaged with the course. Could be doing other work or being interrupted by other parties in the vicinity.
2. Trainee is watching the training course on their mobile phone and is driving around. Trainees should be using the laptop at the minimum because of no interruption on screen from phone calls, social media notifications, better screen size viewing quality, wired internet capability (in case required) and overall better quality of technical capabilities for 2 way multimedia interaction (video, answering questions, reading the slides and taking actions on the learning platform used).
3. The internet connection is bad with constant connection drops. This happens due to internet traffic loads, a low quality internet plan, or application server issues.
4. The audio is garbled and the trainer is inaudible, becomes rubbish audio. Multiple factors including browser control and caching issues, user computer quality issues, background noise, internet connectivity issues and application server issues.
5. Trainer distracted trying to support trainees with technical issues. A program host from the training provider (TP) should be on standby to support trainees and let the trainer focus on the training.
Training effectiveness evaluation is compulsory for all training that is delivered live online. This is for HRDF to continuously monitor the effectiveness of training conducted in this way.
1. Get a quotation from an approved HRDF training provider
2. Login to HRDF Portal and launch e-TRiS.
2. Click on ‘Application’ icon
3. Click and open the ‘Grant’ from the menu
4. Choose ‘Apply Grant’.
5. Fill in the online form and attach the supporting documents before clicking the ‘Submit’ button
6. After HRDF grant approval, notify us to register for the Remote Online Learning Training session.
1. Training Provider information
2. Trainees Information
3. Total of Estimated Costs Apply (Include training provider’s quotation)
-six (6) months upon completion of training (Grant schemes)
-three (3) months upon completion of the training and successfully obtaining the certificate, subject to the requirement of the scheme (Strategic Initiative schemes) with all training costs paid.
You can get it from the HRDF website from Guidelines under ‘Services’ section. Click here to see the full guidelines
HRDF TTT Certified Trainer
A HRDF claimable training course like the HRDF Remote Online Learning Course needs to be conducted by a HRDF TTT certified trainer.
HRDF Claimable Training Provider
Kognifi is the approved training provider. If you are interested to join us for an Online Learning training course, have a look at our HRDF courses and send us a request for the courses that you want. We are in the midst of customizing the training for Marketing and Management Training Courses for Remote Online Learning and the list is being updated.
Check out more training courses that we have to offer at our online training courses catalogue. Come and join us for a better experience!
Marketing Strategy and Plan Training Course
Marketing Strategy and Plan Course
For business managers, marketers, controllers and analysts. 2 day course. List price shown, is price per person for the course. In this course participants will learn how to:
- Create a strategic marketing plan and presentation
- Select and use frameworks for marketing strategies
- Identify target audiences, market segments and create buyer personas
- Select and use frameworks for go to market (GTM) marketing plans
- Create the advertising and promotion (AP) budget plan
- Transform the marketing plans into a business proposal
- Use digital tools and assets to create the marketing strategy and plans
Contact Us at
Contact us for more details about the pricing and also any general enquiries at
Human Resource Development Fund. (15 May 2020). Guideline for Online Learning
( Remote Online Learning 4.3.2)